What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
toneddu2000

Re: What are you working on?

Post by toneddu2000 »

ceriux wrote:Theme wise im just trying to make it medieval-ish.
Cool! I'm curious now
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

heres a little bit of what i have so far.

also this is the reference i was talking about, ive considered each square 64 units

https://image.ibb.co/iNMMNa/wizard.jpg

-update-

in game screen! got a few things to fix

1 tp pad is off center
few texture alignment issues
finalize entity work.

otherwise it seems like its near ready!

Madfox

Post by Madfox »

That´s looking good, Curieux!
Gives a good insight to what could be appear to become a good map.

Meself I´m working on a remake of an old map from Abandon, Crumb.
And as I could expect it is growing a little on top of my hat.
The good part is it´s well mapping with an example.
The hard site is to avoid the bad parts and turn them into good.

Here is what I´ve got sofar:

Layout in Quark looks something like:

:cool:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

@ceriux: good atmosphere! I imagine a continuous hum buzzing around! :biggrin:
@Madfox: I like the torus-corridor a lot. It seems very creepy!

This is a question for both of you: how many work hours took to obtain a map that big?

note for ceriux: don't be so polite to use edit to update your post, probably no one will see it because date doesn't change. Just create a brand new post. This forum is so ****ing desert nowadays that a post more or less practically doesn't clutter web space too much! (this could be a hint for a new thread: Why this forum became so desert?!?)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Start to finish it took me around 4-6 hours. However my geometry is fairly simple. Btw i released the map over on the project showcase forum.
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

Class I've been working on for LawBreakers has finally been announced! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFySNmrUYp4

Also, though I didn't work on this directly, the cinematic trailer turned out pretty sweet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bRK4BQkNmQ
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD7N6HY ... e=youtu.be

This weekend's toying around since I've had time while I've been sick :mrgreen:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

@ ceriux: thanks, now it's more clear to me to define timelapses
@jitspoe: ?? You work at BossKey? Wow. Respect! I always wondered: how is it to actually work in game industry? Is it like the achievement of a dream or does it become less fun since "it's just a work"?
@c0burn: wow, great intro! But, is it a mod or a tc? Or is it just a intro video and that's it?
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

Its's a mod in slow, slow progress due to real life time constraints. I got bored of working on other things so started knocking together this intro.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

c0burn wrote:I got bored of working on other things so started knocking together this intro.
Well, it's very promising, maybe a little background music would help to gain even more atmosphere

plus
c0burn wrote:This weekend's toying around since I've had time while I've been sick :mrgreen:
LOOOL, this happens to me all the time! With family and work it seems the only way to have some spare time to dedicate to my passions! :biggrin:
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

@jitspoe: congratulations, man! Looks great and has a really fast paced gameplay. Maybe a bit too fast paced to an oldfart like me, but I am sure will be appealing to the kids ruining my lawn. :D It's great to see the work and talent from someone of our tiny community shining.

@c0burn: your mod is officially under my radar now. I can see from the debugging prints and AI behaviour in the other videos you've replaced the drunk-like default navigation with something using waypoints. Are these waypoints baked in the qc, or somehow in the map, or just generated dynamically ? I also saw mentions to Dijkstra. Can you give a briefing about what have you done ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

frag.machine wrote: @c0burn: your mod is officially under my radar now. I can see from the debugging prints and AI behaviour in the other videos you've replaced the drunk-like default navigation with something using waypoints. Are these waypoints baked in the qc, or somehow in the map, or just generated dynamically ? I also saw mentions to Dijkstra. Can you give a briefing about what have you done ?
The waypoints are baked into the map, currently. The whole system is very similar to the Frikbot. There's an in game waypoint editor, and you can dump the .ent file to the console when you're done editing, then re-merge the .ent into the .bsp. I could support engines with qc-extensions and have dumping/loading from a file, but i've not bothered yet, as I want the mod to run on vanilla engines.

Dijkstra and the closely related A* pathing are a way of finding the shortest route between two nodes (waypoints) in a graph (sea of waypoints) basically. Frikbot also uses this for Pathfinding.

That bit's the (fairly) easy bit. Next I want them to do things like seek out cover, storm the player when he's reloading etc. AI is fun.
Madfox

Post by Madfox »

how many work hours took to obtain a map that big?
To be honest, the map is a remake of a mod "Abandon" I made.
My first attempt to create an episode with 24 looney maps.

I wondered what the best maps were for a remake.
Editors nowadays are much more precise, so it's quiet a challenge.
If I would relay on time to obtain the map, it would easily pass 1000h.
But that's not my intention, as I gave up time long after disasters showed otherwise.

Just in for the fun part!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

The entire shareware episode in a single map, including Ziggurat Vertigo (clumsy cheat-powered walkthrough video)

I wrote some custom QuakeC to implement low gravity in only part of the level and some minor details like background music and mission start messages.
May be interesting to see people doing speedruns on this, since you can use powerups and keys from one level into another we'll probably see some ridiculously low times. Eventually my idea is to pack all levels into one single, huge map, but probably will have to switch to other map format (BSP2) and also handle monster/item spawn in a different way.

I am just doing a final polish and will release the whole thing to download soon.
EDIT: Here is the Quaketastic link. Make sure to check the readme. Have fun.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

so cool man, great work!