What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: What are you working on?

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

frag.machine wrote:Yeah the weird wall angles are unreal-y. BTW I am replaying Unreal right now, and it is funny how it can look more advanced than Quake in some aspects (visual effects that would appear only with Quake 3 shaders) but also more primitive in others (the lack of detail in map geometry is jarring compared even with stock Quake first episode, let alone a modern map from say AD). The artwork quality is very uneven, some textures are very detailed but others look like a 7-yo work using MS Paint.
Yeah, I'm working on trying to learn how to make more / better use of map geometry, and make the textures to fit with it. Unreal was beautiful at times, but you're right about the map geometry. I still need to find time to sit down and properly play AD. :smile:
toneddu2000 wrote:@Dr. Shadowborg: I like wall and grid textures, floor it's also ok. I'd make more detail on pillars and remake from scratch the doors (they seem made of wood instead of metal). Lights are cool imo.
Don't know if it could help you but I released almost 1 GB of textures under CC0 Public Domain license on GitHub for craFTEr project, maybe they could be used as placeholder or layout. They're all 2048x2048 in PSD format so you can tinker with layers and stuff
Thanks, but what do you mean about the pillar detail? You mean add fringing on the texture that matches with the wall textures on the top and bottom? (This is a small easily overlooked detail, and is something that beginning mappers should remember to look out for BTW)

I looked at the door, and I see what you mean about the woody look. I'm not going to totally chuck the texture though, I suspect some proper reworking with the right colors and some pseudo-normalmapping will fix that issue. I've also put another door style into the pipeline, so I'll post a screen when its ready...

Thanks for the offer, but 2048x2048 is kinda too big to properly scale down to 16x16 - 512x512 size ranges. :wink:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Thanks, but what do you mean about the pillar detail? You mean add fringing on the texture that matches with the wall textures on the top and bottom? (This is a small easily overlooked detail, and is something that beginning mappers should remember to look out for BTW)
I mean that vertical elements (pillars, columns, vertical beams, call what you want) have a texture that seems more like fabric than metal. You should add first a metal base layer and then add all the details (scratches, bolts, etc)
Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Thanks for the offer, but 2048x2048 is kinda too big to properly scale down to 16x16 - 512x512 size ranges. :wink:
When I said "maybe they could be used as placeholder or layout" I meant that you could use it as template for your texture or using a small portion as base (and then make it tileable with the offset filter) and then draw your details on top of it. Source resolution has nothing to do with output resolution. The more the better. Initially they were 4096x406 but Github has a 100mb limit per file so I had to shrinken them. I must say that the industrial part (which, as Julius asked, is the whole projectUnknown texture material) was done pretty good and if you take a look at all the floorempty* textures you'll see what I mean for "metal base"
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

self shadowing relief mapping

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Thats awesome, looks like Doom3 not Quake 2 :shock:
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Thats awesome, looks like Doom3 not Quake 2 :shock:
Oh yes) I'm turn off lightmaps for contrast)
shots with directional lightmaps
self shadow on
self shadow off
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

I'm not working on it *right now* but I will be working on yet another gamejam game over this weekend (11th and 12th) using FTEQW, so I thought some people here might be interested. It'll be streamed here https://www.twitch.tv/shp__
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Shpuld wrote:so I thought some people here might be interested
I don't know about "some people", but I'm totally interested about it! :biggrin:
I can't wait, I always loved your works!
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

Chainsaw I hacked together - Download Here
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

Lighting diffraction
https://youtu.be/B5zdn-hm80w
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

What else should I say Barnes? Awesome effect! :biggrin:
Madfox

Post by Madfox »

Converting the Q1Test for singleplayer port and original monsters.
Some screenies in attempt to remap the old screenshots with lightning.

:lol:
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Nice!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Wow! Good atmosphere!
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Beautiful effect. Great work!