What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Seven

Re: What are you working on?

Post by Seven »

Hello jitspoe,
Your new trailer looks amazing. Really well made.
You can even shoot backwards. LOL. Cool !
Your game looks like gravity is no longer a limit :)

Hello mankrip,
I watched your gameplay videos. Unfortunately most of them were too dark to see anything.
Why so many people play with so low brightness ? :)
But I enjoyed your Adib Murad´s Signati clip and I was amazed by your lava visuals and blood splats when shooting enemies.
Especially the bloodsplats visual is something I will try to bring into my mod. Ontop of my ToDo list now. :)
It looks a lot like original Quake particles movement-wise but with new particles. Really great work !

Hello c0burn,
If an ogre manages it to find you from e1m1 exit area up to the beginning, then I believe you, your code works ! Your youtube clips looks like the player leaves some sort of scented stamps, which the enemies follow. That is a great idea.

I am tinkering with some HUD effects/ideas at the moment and would like to show a small clip about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlkwRc5oc_M

If you are interested, there is a Download link and some more explanation about it here:
http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod-re ... odels.html

Best wishes,
Seven
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

Seven wrote: Hello c0burn,
If an ogre manages it to find you from e1m1 exit area up to the beginning, then I believe you, your code works ! Your youtube clips looks like the player leaves some sort of scented stamps, which the enemies follow. That is a great idea.

Best wishes,
Seven
The breadcrumbs are just a side effect of some debug code being active. The waypoints are actually hand placed. There's no "learning a map" AI or similar.
ceriux wrote:
c0burn wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOdjijy ... e=youtu.be

Picked up my mod again. Combat is disabled for this vid, but massive improvements have been made in the monsters pathfinding/obstacle navigation code. They will find you. And they will kill you.

nice pathfinding are they able to find you though out the entire level just for demonstration purposes? or will you be able to lose them ? maybe leaving them look for you?
They can find you throughout the entire level, as long as there's a valid path to the player. The waypoints are hand placed, ala Frikbot. There's no "losing" them at the moment, but this would be fairly trivial to add.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Loving animated HUD, Seven! Helmet texture is very neat!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Seven wrote:Hello mankrip,
I watched your gameplay videos. Unfortunately most of them were too dark to see anything.
Why so many people play with so low brightness ? :)
I always play with the brightness on my monitor set to the maximum, so the default in-game brightness (gamma 1) is enough for me. But some of the videos does really look too dark when watching on my phone.
Seven wrote:But I enjoyed your Adib Murad´s Signati clip and I was amazed by your lava visuals and blood splats when shooting enemies.
Especially the bloodsplats visual is something I will try to bring into my mod. Ontop of my ToDo list now. :)
It looks a lot like original Quake particles movement-wise but with new particles. Really great work !
QC wise, all I did was this:

Code: Select all

void(vector org, vector vel, float damage) SpawnBlood =
{
	particle (org, vel*0.1, 73, damage*4); // mankrip - edited
	particle (org, vel*0.15, 74, damage*20); // mankrip
	particle (org, vel*0.125, 69, damage*8); // mankrip
};

void(float damage) spawn_touchblood =
{
	local vector	vel;

vel = wall_velocity () * -0.2; // mankrip - edited
	SpawnBlood (self.origin + vel*0.01, vel, damage);
};
On the engine side, the physics are still vanilla. The graphics, though, are something which can't be easily reproduced.

First, an introduction: The particle size in pretty much all hardware-rendered Quake engines is wrong when compared to the vanilla software renderer. The particle drawing code in the software renderer was made only for a 320x240 resolution with FOV 90, and looks wrong in any other configuration. My particle drawing code follows the intended particle size of that code, sans size clamping (which I've disabled by default, and implemented a cvar to control it). So, up to a certain distance (if clamping isn't enabled), the size of the particles in my renderer, at any resolution, is exactly the size you'll get when playing WinQuake at 320x240. Many people nowadays seems to have never played Quake as it was originally intended to be played (software rendering, 320x240, FOV 90, viewsize 100, 4:3 video aspect), or they've stopped playing like that too many years ago, so people tended to find the size of my correctly-scaled particles really weird.

So, I've taken that into account when designing my approach for dithering the particles. The biggest particles fades linearly from full opacity at their center to 1/8 (12.5%) opacity at their edge, but when the size of the particle gets below a certain limit, its fully opaque center is gradually expanded until the particle becomes fully opaque at the minimum size. There isn't any texture involved, the particles are fully procedural, so their generation algorithm can dynamically change their properties when generating the metadata for each particle size.

And the reason for making the particles gradually become fully opaque as they distance from the player is because of gameplay. After studying the behavior of the WinQuake particles at 320x240 with FOV 90 for a while, I've realized that 1x1 pixel particles becomes extremely hard to distinguish from the background pixels during gameplay, and that's why the vanilla software renderer uses a minimum size of 2x2 pixels for particles.

So, in my renderer the minimum diameter of the particles is 1*vid.height/240, plus 1 if the result isn't bigger than 1. This minimum size in my renderer is consistently scaled and always uses fully opaque edges, to make sure that if the player goes all the way from full HD to 320x240 or vice versa, the smallest particles will still fill the same percentage of space on the screen. And while the smallest particles should be fully opaque to be easily noticeable, the biggest particles should be fully smoothed out to not get in the way of the player's view, which is why I've decided to make the fully opaque "core" of the particle gradually expand according to how far away the particle is from the camera plane.
Seven wrote:I am tinkering with some HUD effects/ideas at the moment and would like to show a small clip about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlkwRc5oc_M
Nice effects, but the HUD models are being affected by the underwater screen distortion, and they shouldn't. This is also valid for the biosuit, because althought you're underwater, the space between the player's eyes and the helmet is filled with air, not with water. I don't know if this is an engine limitation, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Seven

Post by Seven »

Thank you very much for giving insigths into engine (particle) behaviour.
It is always interesting to read, even though I most probably never will edit engine code.

I am using the DarkPlaces engine and therefore can adjust pretty much via the effectinfo syntax scripts.
Drawing the particles opacity depending on the distance towards the player is a good idea though.
Far away particles (especially dark blood ones) are not seen very good otherwise.
Well, on the other side, most of them new age players are using very dark settings with rtlights and all.
That makes the blood almost invisible anyhow, as everything is dark.

I managed to get a little bit the "feeling" from your gameplay clips into a Darkplaces mod, using airfriction and velocity to keep the blood for a short time besides the monster, before it starts to fall. Thank you again for your inspiration.

Yes, the HUD model code is only ssqc, that is why the underwater warp affects them.
Darkplaces gives you the possibility to add these extensions:
DP_EF_NOGUNBOB = 256;
EF_FULLBRIGHT = 512;

So it was possible to get a HUD-like effect. If Darkplaces would also offer something like:
DP_EF_NOWATERWARP
then we would need no more csqc for HUD elements in SP mods. :razz:
I know, the issue with resolution and fov is still there...
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

When not working on frikbot, I work on my standalone project Smash. (alas, not as much free time as I would like to work on these things... :cry: )

Anyway, some screenshots: (Postimg.org used because wordpress is being ass and not letting me upload anything)

Blaster, unskinned. (Modelling is definitely going to be the real bottleneck here. Unwrapping skin verts is hard work.)
http://postimg.org/image/rxwyk9cxb/

Couple of shots of textures in a testmap:
http://postimg.org/image/mdp2nd3fz/
http://postimg.org/image/fd12ul1nz/

Couple of shots of an experimental remake of DM3 using my new textures and q2bsp format:
http://postimg.org/image/gx6esza27/
http://postimg.org/image/3k7v43ulr/
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

just curious why q2bsp?
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

ceriux wrote:just curious why q2bsp?
1. No jackhammer support for q3bsp (at least not the last time I checked, which was a while ago...)
2. No qmap3 support for valve220 .map format. (I suppose I could try getting the source, modify and compile a compatible ver...I already do this with my current q2bsp compiler.)
3. q3bsp's support for lightstyles (via fbsp) is imperfect, and not quite what I would like it to be.
4. q1bsp and derivatives have fixed bbox sizes.
5. hlbsp is still not permissible, irregardless of what compile tools you use. (only tools I'm aware of STILL fall under Valve EULA stuffs)
6. Higher res lightmaps, builtin colored lighting, and radiosity. What's not to like?

It's kinda annoying that there aren't any perfect solutions as far as map formats go right now... :sad:
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:
ceriux wrote:just curious why q2bsp?
1. No jackhammer support for q3bsp (at least not the last time I checked, which was a while ago...)
2. No qmap3 support for valve220 .map format. (I suppose I could try getting the source, modify and compile a compatible ver...I already do this with my current q2bsp compiler.)
3. q3bsp's support for lightstyles (via fbsp) is imperfect, and not quite what I would like it to be.
4. q1bsp and derivatives have fixed bbox sizes.
5. hlbsp is still not permissible, irregardless of what compile tools you use. (only tools I'm aware of STILL fall under Valve EULA stuffs)
6. Higher res lightmaps, builtin colored lighting, and radiosity. What's not to like?

It's kinda annoying that there aren't any perfect solutions as far as map formats go right now... :sad:
sven coop was released with a custom engine and still uses valve bsp.

does q2 support half-life styled lighting?
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

ceriux wrote: does q2 support half-life styled lighting?
I'm pretty sure that IS what radiosity is, so yes it does. :wink:

You can get radiosity in q1bsp with riot's q1rad tool, but it doesn't do all the OTHER really nice stuff the more recent versions of tyrlite does. (tyrlite does NOT do radiosity though, IIRC.)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Halflifes colored lighting is the best imo :)

Also that hud stuff posted above - awesome !
mh

Post by mh »

ceriux wrote:sven coop was released with a custom engine and still uses valve bsp.
Doesn't matter, it's still illegal and Valve can C&D it if they wish.

To be specific, the HL tools come with an EULA that forbids them to be used for generating content for any game other than HL. Just because one mod broke that EULA doesn't make it suddenly OK to do so.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

"Sven Co-op now uses a customized GoldSrc engine under licence from Valve"

Therefore, stills illegal to use any Valve format (maps, models, etc) outside HL.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Nothing interesting to report my end. Been working on abstracting out and tidying up the camera code in our engine to support multiple cameras a bit more nicely (with multiple viewport support coming along too). This is both in mind of the editor and also in mind of a few little bits 'n bobs I've been working on lately.

Work is absorbing a lot of my time now and most of my motivation is being drained up but hey, still marching on I guess... I am leaning towards ditching everything and working on a small project with UE4 though which would probably mean I might not be hanging around here as much as I have done.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

More textures, this time of a server and some arcade cabinet-ish computers. (All computers in the future look like arcade cabinets. Except for laptops. And those thingies that are installed in your power suit / HUD. :razz: )

http://postimg.org/image/tip0bwpin/