Cold Reality Heat Release

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
SusanMDK

Cold Reality Heat Release

Post by SusanMDK »

I've released a demo of my mod project. Today is the deadline at school for school end work and this project was what I did for that.

I've released it in 2 packages: High Quality 122MB and Low Quality 61MB files. The difference is with texture resolution.

The Downloads:

High Quality version

Low Quality version

Quake or DarkPlaces not included in the files above. But you probably have them already... It seems to have enough content to be playable without Quake data, but menus will be inaccessible, because I've not made any menu graphics.

Promotional video from 2 weeks ago - it still got that map in it... This release has more refined gameplay features. Some bugs do exist, but nothing that should crash it.

Features:
  • Dual handed combat.
  • 6 characters (all available for play in DM, one for play singleplayer/coop)
  • 1 monster
  • 2 weapons (if fists/hands not counted)
  • Basic skills (shoot more, get more effective damage)
  • Bunch of basic items
Misfeatures:
  • Starting a DeathMatch always starts the game with "Experiment" character with arms hidden for a moment. After a moment, they will show up and behave normal. Changing character fixes it too.
  • Killing someone first time changes the target into the same model as the killer. Later kills don't do this change.
  • Reloading or changing weapons sometimes vanishes some ammo.
  • Reloading a weapon shows the ammo in the current weapon for a moment, but then suddenly changes to show the ammo in the weapon you didn't reload.
Read the CRH_INSTALLATION_INSTRUCTIONS.TXT for keyconfig and some more explanation how to play. Have fun! :D

Comments, critique and questions are welcome!
zbang!
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Cool! I'm proud to say I'm your first download ;)
I'll try it out and get back here with some feedback some time today :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Sweet! I'm grabbin it! :o

Only played 30 minutes or so, but glad I did! 1st impression? Omg... I like it. Them bugs creep me out jumping all over! Creepy... You just want to stomp them into the ground. :P ..I'll play more of it when I have time...
Last edited by xaGe on Fri May 23, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

Going to have to get to it near the end of the weekend (3 day weekend!!! woot!) but I am looking forward to it.
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

i'm grabbing both versions just for archival kicks
i should not be here
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

I hope you got a good grade on this Jim... :D
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I've not got any grade yet, but maybe on monday, when I have time to go to school. The teacher was too lazy to install it on friday (and I was at work) and wanted me to come to school install it next week. The deadline for the school projects was also extended to wednesday...

I guess I'll have some time to do a small patch or some other polishing.

Is anyone interested in trying DeathMatch? So far I've only tried it against me on the same computer by launching two instances of DarkPlaces... :roll:
zbang!
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Is the lack of menu, hud graphics & etc going to detract from the grade?

jim wrote:I've not got any grade yet, but maybe on monday, when I have time to go to school. The teacher was too lazy to install it on friday (and I was at work) and wanted me to come to school install it next week. The deadline for the school projects was also extended to wednesday...

I guess I'll have some time to do a small patch or some other polishing.
jim wrote:Is anyone interested in trying DeathMatch? So far I've only tried it against me on the same computer by launching two instances of DarkPlaces... :roll:
I'm down, lets go!
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

xaGe wrote:Is the lack of menu, hud graphics & etc going to detract from the grade?
No idea, maybe, because that makes it a bit less stand-alone, but now may I have time to do them before monday.
xaGe wrote: I'm down, lets go!
Cool, I can host some server, well.. interested people can add me to their msn with the address greyjimi at hotmail dot com.
zbang!
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Splendid stuff, Jim, really! :)
I also hope you're gonna get a good grade for this!

I'm particularly impressed by how nice the models are and how good they look when they move around. With the dire lack of active modelers around, this comes as a great breath of fresh air. The music is also creepy and works well with the overall atmosphere.

I liked the overall layout of the maps as well, even though there was at times something a little "squarey" about some of the architectural components. The only thing I'd like to point out, in fact, is that I felt I "missed" somehow some light fixtures. You used colored lighting quite a lot (which I really liked, by the way, I felt it added a lot to the atmosphere), but there was never any real sense of this light, well, coming from somewhere precise. It can be ok from time to time (say, one of these red industrial, tunnel-like corridors), but, at others, it makes the lighting become a little artificial. A couple of "visible" light fixtures (neons? torches? fires? headlamps?) would easily fix that and maybe also "break" the "squarey" feel of some of these rooms ;)

Someone said earlier in another thread that there was something unreal1ish about your videos and I must agree about that after playing your demo. This is of course a compliment (I totally loved Unreal1) and something that, to my knowledge, not many Q1 mods out there ever quite created. I could totally picture maps for your mod that would combine the "tech" and "ancient" components as Unreal1 did. I'll definitely play this more and I would also be looking forward any kind of additional contents you or other people could create for it! :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Thank you :)

I do have some lamp textures, but I've just not had time to add lamps to the map, except for those few lamp kind of things at the entry/exit portals. This kind of "light coming from nowhere" will be used very minimally later on.

I've also planned on having both tech and ancient stuff in. You can already see a hint to that in the player/shaman character's clothing.

Yesterday's playtesting with xaGe revealed me some bugs..
  • Sometimes after getting damage, the player gets a huge increase to the punchangle. It's a bit unclear why that happens, but initial thoughts were about firing the Aqua Needle SMG.. later I found out it was something to do with armour getting to zero...
  • In cooperative you get full ammo & 2 weapons from one weapon pickup, because they're leaved to the ground and there was no check, if player had already picked it up.
  • Another cooperative bug was with entering the Start map again didn't clear weapons and ammo properly and soon after that I managed to "broke" my character's right arm...
Cooperative was fun :D

Mmm.. I think the music may change though. Last night when I was fixing some of these bugs, I was listening to some bass-blurb-blurb experimental ambient music, I thought it really fit in..
zbang!
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I've made a website:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/crh/

I based it on some old.. It should work on IE and FireFox. Looks allright in 1024*768 and above.

Other stuff:
I'm wondering if I should release a patch now. I've made some good improvements in the code, but I've not added any new content.
zbang!
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..You don't need new content to release a patch... Just do it! :D What has been fixed in the code anyway?
r00k

Post by r00k »

It loads up, (i downloaded the high quality .rar)
but when I press fire to shoot the little critters, the game crashes, I believe its the needle sound? Does this happen to anyone else??
Those models do look pretty creepy! :D
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

That shouldn't happen... Does it give any error message? Does it happen with every weapon? Or are you playing it in some other engine than DarkPlaces?
zbang!