Quakery Quake Wiki

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

so is the wiki at http://quakery.quakedev.com/qwiki/ really the new official quake wiki, now?
Urre

Post by Urre »

It would seem so... People use it, to some degree. I for one read the csqc section, and plan to contribute
I was once a Quake modder
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

Urre wrote:It would seem so... People use it, to some degree. I for one read the csqc section, and plan to contribute
After seeing the wiki I went in and added about an hour and a half worth of content to the QuakeC section. Things need considerable work, like alternate ways to look up the same info, when I am bored I think I might work on updating and improving the wiki as I can.

Some of the wiki seems too copy-pasta, with index numbers on headers that reference to nothing, and many wiki-links left out.

I personally added about 20-30 pages worth of content today, plan to add more tomorrow morning.
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

ShoTro may just become one of my favorite persons, that contribution alone is bad ass.

I did a tiny bit of work on it several months back when it was initially ported over to Quakery by Sajt, but I don't even recall what now. Mostly just tidying up existing articles, fixing some terrible writing, and I think uploading some images of items to include in the articles.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

A good example of how a game's wiki is done, to me, is the Doom wiki ( http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Entryway ). Granted a Quake wiki is complicated by QuakeC (extremely necessary) and a focus on community (the Doom wiki seems much more focused on stock Doom and the engine).
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

i always thought the quake wiki's orginization was a bit odd and maybe even reflected the biases of the people who worked on it the most. For example, the info on textures is entirely about replacement textures that only some engines support, rather than word one about the texture wads or anything like that.

Sometimes i get the notion to reorganize it, but as an outsider to the wiki they probably wouldn't appreciate that. I might do it anyway one of these days :)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

For example, the info on textures is entirely about replacement textures that only some engines support, rather than word one about the texture wads or anything like that.
Ironically there isn't much information about the engines, or QuakeC either (though ShoTro has done a lot in the past day). Its just where it is based... Much like QuakeExpo is dominated by mods, as it originated from this crowd
but as an outsider to the wiki they probably wouldn't appreciate that.
They? Quakery is Sajt's space on QuakeDev, and he did PHP for Spirit! Pretty intertwined community there. Besides, the place, up until the other day, has been abandoned. Feel free to contribute plenty. Especially if it is technical map information, something I know jack and shit about. I'm gonna refresh the wiki every half hour tomorrow at work, keeping an eye out for your contributions! Peer pressure always works!
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

scar3crow wrote:ShoTro may just become one of my favorite persons, that contribution alone is bad ass.
More to come. And thank you. I am trying to structure the links better too... Like two different ways to view the same thing, like the Quake C specs and the individual function/type/ent listings...

Because there is an extremely nice laid out spec design out there, don't know why the wiki didn't start that way then work towards covering things individually... because individually takes a hell of a lot more time.

I will be finishing the creatures then move back to working on more QuakeC information, maybe links to resources tomorrow or this weekend.
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

scar3crow wrote:A good example of how a game's wiki is done, to me, is the Doom wiki ( http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Entryway ). Granted a Quake wiki is complicated by QuakeC (extremely necessary) and a focus on community (the Doom wiki seems much more focused on stock Doom and the engine).
Need to get this wiki past the basic steps first then can expand to include a frontpage like the doom wiki.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I appreciate all work that has been done thus far.

I would like to see more info on mdl and bsp/map/wad however. Technical information, along with more human explanations in general. The QuakeC stuff definitely needs to be filled out more, and its sad that it is only where it is now, as we are not exactly lacking in knowledgeable qc coders.

I need to go through and touch up the monsters. The current template is rather terrible (treasure for example being unnecessary as only 3 monsters have such a thing) and seems more like a weak attempt at a Prima Strategy Guide.
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

scar3crow wrote:
but as an outsider to the wiki they probably wouldn't appreciate that.
They? Quakery is Sajt's space on QuakeDev, and he did PHP for Spirit! Pretty intertwined community there. Besides, the place, up until the other day, has been abandoned. Feel free to contribute plenty. Especially if it is technical map information, something I know jack and shit about. I'm gonna refresh the wiki every half hour tomorrow at work, keeping an eye out for your contributions! Peer pressure always works!
Ah, well i meant that I was the outsider, at least to the quake wiki.

Okay, i'll get in there at some point and try to add/organize stuff...
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I'm gradually updating the articles for all the monsters first. Feel free to perhaps add in more map relevant information for them.

It seems to be mostly myself, leilei and ShoTro editing the wiki thus far.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Lately yes...
scar3crow wrote:I'm gradually updating the articles for all the monsters first. Feel free to perhaps add in more map relevant information for them.

It seems to be mostly myself, leilei and ShoTro editing the wiki thus far.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Well yes lately. I made the comment lately =)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

http://quakery.quakedev.com/qwiki/index ... ing_Addons is getting spammed badly. Maybe lock the page somehow?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews