Forum

What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.

Moderator: InsideQC Admins

Re: What are you working on?

Postby Spike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:36 pm

on that subject, there's already https://github.com/plankatron/quakemash
however, it lacks the qc code to go with it (like per-region gravity or sane coop respawning, and skill selection can be a problem too).
make of it what you will, I'm just linking it because it feels relevant to do so.
Spike

Postby frag.machine » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:20 am

Thanks for the link, Spike. I learned about this other project in another thread here, and even tried to open their map without success, which led me to try this experiment. The skill portals are a real problem I haven't solved on this version, but otherwise is quite playable so I decided to release it as is.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
frag.machine

Postby toneddu2000 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Just so you know, I uploaded links for CraFTEr editor. It's barely unusable right now, sorry for that, but really little time to dedicate to the project. Anyway you'll find a juicy README and some code that you could fork for another project(plus some unpolished 3d models and textures)!
toneddu2000

Postby planaria » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:55 pm

frag.machine wrote:Thanks for the link, Spike. I learned about this other project in another thread here, and even tried to open their map without success, which led me to try this experiment. The skill portals are a real problem I haven't solved on this version, but otherwise is quite playable so I decided to release it as is.

uhhh , why couldnt you open it ? i can try to fix it
planaria

Postby frag.machine » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:34 pm

planaria wrote:
frag.machine wrote:Thanks for the link, Spike. I learned about this other project in another thread here, and even tried to open their map without success, which led me to try this experiment. The skill portals are a real problem I haven't solved on this version, but otherwise is quite playable so I decided to release it as is.

Hi planaria,
I tried to load the .bsp file using the recomended engine (IIRC a quakespasm variant with some changes from Spike) downloaded from the repo page, but it just failed. Can't remember the exact error now. I assumed it wasn't playable at the current stage.
Then, I tried to open the .map file but as one would expect my ancient version of QuArK just gasped and crashed (I know, it's past time to move to TB, but it's hard to leave old habits... :P ).

Anyway, in the end it was more fun to try for myself to cram the first episode in a single map, and I achieved both (the map and the fun). :D
If you guys want to use my QuakeC as a placeholder until someone makes a proper mod, please help yourselves. It assumes the episode map has some custom entities to identify every mission area, otherwise the behaviour falls back to vanilla Quake. It doesn't solve everything, but at least it's playable.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
frag.machine

Postby planaria » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:12 pm

well, i managed to compile the engine for linux (thanks spoike) , and infact it actually loaded MUCH faster then on darkplaces (i have no idea why). It Should work with that engine, but as I am not on your computer I will never know. I would love to further debug if you have any time though, its pretty awesome that you got localized zero g into your version. I will have to check out your solution and i would agree that it is pretty fun to assemble the levels together. if you ever want to team up to try to make the whole thing I would love to discuss it. I am on #qc and #darkplaces on irc.anynet.org

frag.machine wrote:
planaria wrote:

Hi planaria,
I tried to load the .bsp file using the recomended engine (IIRC a quakespasm variant with some changes from Spike) downloaded from the repo page, but it just failed. Can't remember the exact error now. I assumed it wasn't playable at the current stage.
Then, I tried to open the .map file but as one would expect my ancient version of QuArK just gasped and crashed (I know, it's past time to move to TB, but it's hard to leave old habits... :P ).

Anyway, in the end it was more fun to try for myself to cram the first episode in a single map, and I achieved both (the map and the fun). :D
If you guys want to use my QuakeC as a placeholder until someone makes a proper mod, please help yourselves. It assumes the episode map has some custom entities to identify every mission area, otherwise the behaviour falls back to vanilla Quake. It doesn't solve everything, but at least it's playable.
planaria

Postby frag.machine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:41 pm

I will try it again at the weekend and give you some feedback. The low grav only reliably works on FTEQW revision 5133 or later (it's where Spike fixed the .gravity entity field behaviour), I suppose should be a trivial fix for your quakespasm branch. Unfortunately due real life constraints I cannot commit to join your team but as I said feel free to scavenge and use the code or the map source for your own project.
frag.machine

Postby planaria » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:04 pm

I updated the readme and tested out quakemash on fteqw latest build and that specific build of quakespasm , for fteqw make sure you type in sv_bigcoords 1 and if you have audio issues change the sound source in the audio options, in quakespasm make sure to type sv_protocol 999 , it should work out of the box in darkplaces but if it doesnt i would love to know. I really appreciate you testing it as i would have never noticed this stuff ! (big thanks to spoike for helping troubleshoot it all)

frag.machine wrote:I will try it again at the weekend and give you some feedback. The low grav only reliably works on FTEQW revision 5133 or later (it's where Spike fixed the .gravity entity field behaviour), I suppose should be a trivial fix for your quakespasm branch. Unfortunately due real life constraints I cannot commit to join your team but as I said feel free to scavenge and use the code or the map source for your own project.
planaria

Previous

Return to General Discussion