Forum

Quake "champions"

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.

Moderator: InsideQC Admins

Re: Quake "champions"

Postby Spirit » Mon May 15, 2017 4:08 pm

toneddu2000 wrote:Instead, they do this, (...)


Dude.

http://valvesoftware.com/games/quake

What makes you think valve.software is a domain owned by Valve?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Spirit
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:00 pm

Re: Quake "champions"

Postby Dr. Shadowborg » Tue May 16, 2017 4:14 am

revelator wrote:To me this all smells like NSA has had a rather large finger in regards to MS writing holes they can exploit, atm it seems atleast only XP and older OS'es are hit, but i would bet a million dollars against them if they think it wont affect newer versions of windows in the future, especially with the money involved.


Given how much their arseholes puckered over this latest malware, which caused them to release a patch for XP and their overt attempts at distancing of themselves from the NSA, it really wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that they were actually working hand-in-hand all this time. :mad: The XP patch is probably some sort of attempt to avoid any potential legal liability, without actually admitting to having any. (Since some of these malware hits could actually cause people to die and all...:( )
User avatar
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:34 pm

Re: Quake "champions"

Postby revelator » Tue May 16, 2017 6:26 am

That is a legitimate concern since the latest attack has wreaked havoc with european hospital systems meaning a lot of people might well (die) as an effect of this.
Besides that spot on, i been having the same thoughts.
Productivity is a state of mind.
User avatar
revelator
 
Posts: 2464
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:04 pm
Location: inside tha debugger

Re: Quake "champions"

Postby Baker » Wed May 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Wannadecryptor spread through port 445. You aren't supposed to have open ports facing the internet if you are business.

It won't end until businesses end up fined for poor security.

No business should have ports available to the internet. And they do it all the time, and people's credit card numbers, bank info, passwords, identifications get stolen ... but it is buried on page 8 of news.

People in Florida liked to feed the alligators, but it made alligators seek out people.

It stopped when they made feeding alligators a crime with 60 days jail and a $5000 fine for repeat offenders.

Fine some of these businesses or put some people in jail and they'll stop having sloppy security practices.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
User avatar
Baker
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:15 am

Re: Quake "champions"

Postby frag.machine » Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Baker wrote:Wannadecryptor spread through port 445. You aren't supposed to have open ports facing the internet if you are business.

It won't end until businesses end up fined for poor security.

No business should have ports available to the internet. And they do it all the time, and people's credit card numbers, bank info, passwords, identifications get stolen ... but it is buried on page 8 of news.

People in Florida liked to feed the alligators, but it made alligators seek out people.

It stopped when they made feeding alligators a crime with 60 days jail and a $5000 fine for repeat offenders.

Fine some of these businesses or put some people in jail and they'll stop having sloppy security practices.


Problem is, you can blame Microsoft partially for this. Their insistence on making "everything easy" for any dumb/lazy user to set up a Windows machine (specially servers) led them to dangerous defaults regarding configurations, specially exposed services and ports for the outer world. It required they feel the heat for some very nasty exploits (slammer anyone ?) to change, but unfortunately XP and 2003 Server still had some very insecure defaults.

Back on topic: some gameplay from the closed beta. I had my dose of Quake 3 already, I'll probably will pass. #NotMyQuake
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
User avatar
frag.machine
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:49 pm

Re: Quake "champions"

Postby toneddu2000 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:49 am

Spirit wrote:
toneddu2000 wrote:Instead, they do this, (...)


Dude.

http://valvesoftware.com/games/quake

What makes you think valve.software is a domain owned by Valve?

Yeah, you're right, I always thought it was a second domain from Valve but I never paid attention to the .software part, well.. never mind! But the hints about the trilogy you'll find them on original site too!
toneddu2000
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:39 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Quake "champions"

Postby Dr. Shadowborg » Fri May 19, 2017 10:33 pm

frag.machine wrote:Problem is, you can blame Microsoft partially for this. Their insistence on making "everything easy" for any dumb/lazy user to set up a Windows machine (specially servers) led them to dangerous defaults regarding configurations, specially exposed services and ports for the outer world. It required they feel the heat for some very nasty exploits (slammer anyone ?) to change, but unfortunately XP and 2003 Server still had some very insecure defaults.


Try 90-100% to blame.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/1 ... flaws_too/

They had a heads up from (probably NSA) and fixes since February. And they sat on them.

Man, I KNEW it. MS needs a seriously badass apocalyptic grade ass kicking. :mad:

And then theres this:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/1 ... lame_game/

Worse, this crap may not be over yet:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/1 ... rs_return/
User avatar
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:34 pm

Re: Quake "champions"

Postby Baker » Fri May 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Microsoft released a patch for the SMB vulnerability back in March. Those with the patch installed were immune. Russia and China got hit hard because they use pirated copies of Windows that don't get patches.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... 008-r2-sp1

I'm not fond of Microsoft. I make sure my code works with non-Microsoft compilers and on multiple platforms. And when Windows 10 was announced for "free" --- I knew that if you aren't paying for something then "You are the product." and knew it would loaded with Microsoft adware and spyware.

Despite not liking Microsoft, they did patch that vulnerability a couple of months ago.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
User avatar
Baker
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:15 am

Re: Quake "champions"

Postby toneddu2000 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:36 am

Duel Mode
Still not 100% convinced about gameplay, but graphics effects on ground (like flames or "tech puzzle lines") are quite cool
toneddu2000
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:39 pm
Location: Italy

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest